Community Development Worker
Wellington Gay Welfare Group Inc. is a dynamic and energetic voluntary organisation that works for the welfare of the queer community in the Wellington region. It is committed to the principle that building strong communities is necessary to the mental, sexual and physical health of community members.
We are looking for an energetic, resourceful, self-reliant person who can organise and facilitate groups of young queer people in the Greater Wellington region and develop networks across queer communities and those that affect them.
It is envisaged that the successful applicant will work 20 hrs/week on a one-year contract and start work in mid-January, 2010.
A CV and letter of application should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday 21st November, 2009.
Key Objectives of Role
- Develop and strengthen relationships between the queer community and the wider community with a specific focus on schools and youth
- Organise and facilitate groups of young queer youth in the Greater Wellington region
- Assist with WGWG administration
- Other duties as may be determined by the WGWG committee or membership.
Skills and Competencies
In order to achieve the objectives of the role it is anticipated that the person will:
- be able to work independently and with minimal supervision
- possess effective communication skills
- have the ability to draw people from a diverse range of backgrounds together
- possess effective relationship skills
- be experienced in working with schools and/ or youth
- have had prior experience in the community or voluntary sector
- have a large amount of initiative and enthusiasm
- have a long term focus, while still achieving short term objectives.